Wednesday 15 June 2011

Windows7 Folder Redirection - Does it work with Windows server 2008 SP1?


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eExoyGQjvX8



I have run across this same problem today.  I am testing Win7 in my student labs and need to direct Documents to their networked H: drive as I do not allow them to have profiles, so when they logout, anything that they would have saved to 'Documents' would go *poof*.  It was very simple on XP, when I try to redirect with W7, the H: doesn't even show up, when I select it manually it says I can't use it because it's not able to be indexed?? 

There is a group policy for that. You will need the Windows 7 GP's loaded though on a Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2 server to see them.
The policy is User Configuration - Admin Templates - Windows Components - Windows Explorer - Turn off Windows Libraries features that rely on indexed file data = Enabled.
Also make sure you do Folder Redirection and tick the box "Also apply redirection policy to windows 2000 etc" in the Settings of the Folder Redirection. (only seen on Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2). If Folder redirection is created on Windows 2003 it is auto ticked.

No comments:

Post a Comment