Friday 6 January 2012

Server 2008: Default Printer Setup using GPO


  1. 1. Enable Loopback Processing in Windows Server 2008. I am unable to find following:
    • In the Group Policy Microsoft Management Console (MMC), click Computer Configuration.
    • Locate Administrative Templates, click System, click Group Policy, and then enable the Loopback Policy option.

  2. 2.On my Windows Server 2008 R2 Server (you can do this on a Windows Server 2008 server as well), I navigate to the Printer extension under User Configuration. (User Configuration\Preferences\Printers). Right click on ‘Printers’  and select ‘ New’, then choose a type of printer you’d like to add. I’m choosing Shared Printer, but you can manage TCP/IP and Local Printers with GP Preferences as well.

    image
    Now the configuration dialog to find and optionally map the printer: I’m just going to browse for the printer I want by clicking on the ‘…’ button next to the Share Path cell.


    image
    Ah ha! Familiar browser window. Searching the directory yields 2 shared printers; one that’s already shared to my client, and one that’s not. I select the Epson, which populates the Share Path field with its full address.
    image
    And now that I have the full address of the shared printer, the option to “set this printer as default…” is enabled. I can also select “only if a local printer is not present” if I want, but I don’t want to.
    image

    3.
    Item Level Targeting
    This is the good part!
    Once you have created a shared printer to deploy there is a tab on the properties of that called “Common” , if you click on that and place a tick in the “Item Level Targeting” and click on the Targeting Button a whole new world opens up!
    4.
    Many possibilities
    Click on the New Item and just have a look at the possibilities there. The one I was interested in was the Organisational Units option. Because what I want to happen is if a computer is in a specific OU install and make printer X the default.
    5.
    OU selection
    With this option I was able to achieve just that. Just select the OU that the Computer should belong to by using the Browse Button and select the Computer in OU radio box.
    Gpopreferences_big

No comments:

Post a Comment